Country comes to town

The adventures of a fledgling Principal Teacher as she moves from rural to urban school life.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Time to reflect


Now that the dust has settled and the holidays have begun, I shall let you know of my ICT experiences in my new school.
As promised there was a lovely new Promethean board set up in the P4 classroom I was teaching in for the last 3 weeks of term.
(Although my new post is as Principal Teacher with responsibility for Infants and Pre-5 due to various reasons I will not have an infant class until August)
The board was of great interest to the pupils, but as it was hitched up to a PC, and I have only got my provisional licence for those machines, I waited until I had time at lunchtime to hook up my trusty old Mac! The children were mightily impressed and all desperate to have a turn out at the board. Now with a class of 15 you can get everyone to have a turn fairly quickly- not so easy with 29 pupils all itching to try it out!
The first thing I showed them was some of the pictures in the library- I explained how I had used the seaside picture with my P1/2/3 class and they asked if they could do the same thing. Over the next 3 weeks I used the board periodically for maths as well as demonstrating Kidspiration. I got the children to tell me all about themselves in a mind map- a hand written one.
Dunoon Primary has a classroom in a box- a suite of PC's which are timetabled for use throughout the school. The classroom I was in had one iMac. On one afternoon the children were taken in groups to work on Type To Learn in the computer room which houses some fairly old PC desktops.
As it turned out the board had been sent out with the Professional Edition of the software- not the Primary version, so I phoned Promethean and arranged a swap. By this time the usual software glitch had occurred and the pen would not work with the board so I needed to reinstall the software. Parcel from Promethean came in double quick time.....alas they had only sent the PC version, so another call, another 24 hours and we were cooking with gas.
Being with the class for such a short time meant that I really did not have time to do very much with the board but the children were certainly very enthusiastic and eager to learn about the uses of the board and the software they could see in my expansive dock!
Now I am just off to add those little finishing touches to this blog- a clock....some links...maybe even a site meter. I also have to post an article on the teddy blog so I had better get on. Oh..and for some reason I can't get online with my laptop so I shall have to get in touch with BT or try reconfiguring the Airport!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home