Country comes to town

The adventures of a fledgling Principal Teacher as she moves from rural to urban school life.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Busy times



Today has been a busy and productive day. It started with an early morning phone interview with Douglas Blane for the TES about our seminar at SETT "Infants Can Communicate" and my use of ICT generally. I was a bit nervous about the interview but once I got into the swing of it, I enjoyed the chance to discuss the project. It also helped clarify points to include in the seminar which Marlyn and I have still to bring together.

I also spoke with Catherine McGoldrick the Oxford Reading Tree rep. Dunoon Primary needs a new reading scheme and ORT is a possibility.

In between phone calls I have been painting my kitchen and reading a few blog posts. Ewan and John have been discussing the design aspect of blogs and web spaces and giving children the opportunity to be creative with their space. I think that the look of the blog is important. I certainly have enjoyed adding things to my blog, and think that at primary level posting photos, Bubbleshare slideshows and animated gifs all adds to the appeal as well as developing skills and a real sense of achievement.



I also read Alan November's latest blog post where he asks
" Do you believe connecting students to people around the world in your curriculum will benefit your students? If so, what are some of your ideas?"
I can only say that the biggest thrill for the children with Talking Teds was the global aspect of the blog and the knowledge that they had a worldwide audience. This was really motivating for them. I also feel chuffed when I see hits from around the world on my site meter. I am just a beginner blogger....what lies ahead....when will I understand everything that Ewan, John and Andrew talk about on their blogs?

Just off to embellish this post with a few bits and bobs.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:36 am, Blogger ab said…

    Keep embelishing your blog Morag! - I too am convinced of the importance of the look of a site, as quite often web2.0 technologies can remove this and only give the content. Shame, when the presentation says so much too.

    Glad to hear the interview went well. Great clock by the way!

     
  • At 1:18 am, Blogger duffy said…

    Oxford Reading Tree is the way to go! I told them that even when I was there. I loved the stories about Biff, Chip and Kipper.

    PS - I agree about the chalk. I always like something with an edge! Hope to meet you the next time I'm in DPS. My aunt Karen is the secretary...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home